Our second day in San Diego we headed over to visit the USS Midway. On our way there, we took a quick detour to see a ship under construction. This ship, the San Salvador, was being built as a replica of the first European ship that sailed into San Diego Harbor in 1542.
Just a short mile or two across the harbor, but light years away in technology, was the massive floating city, USS Midway. This aircraft carrier was the longest serving Navy aircraft carrier in the 20th century. We loved exploring the ship with the help of audio tours. Seeing all the aircraft and learning the history of the ship was fascinating.Admiral's quarters.
Captain's quarters.
Camille as the "Boss." This is the flight deck control.
Here's a piece of equipment that hasn't changed much in 400 years.
Inside a helicopter.
Erin as a pilot.
My uncle Jack flew a plane like this in WWII. He was dating my aunt at the time and my dad remembers him flying over the house during training as a way to say "hi" to my aunt.
A ready room for one of the flight squadrons.
The ship had it's own dental and doctor's offices.
In the engine room.
I think that I do a lot of laundry and cooking, but after reading about all the work to keep thousands of Navy men fed and clothed, I feel like I have it relatively easy. Note the huge washing machines and the big vats for stew.
![]() |
| I already have a lot of respect for all the branches of the military, but after seeing this I must say the Navy also rocks! |

























1 comment:
This is so cool! Klane would have loved this.
Post a Comment