Sunday, September 12, 2010

A Hiking We Will Go...

Our last hurrah of the summer was to go backpacking in Naturalist Basin in the Uintahs. Krysta had to stay home and work, but the rest of us put on a pack and hiked 5 miles into our camp by a little lake called Gatman. We had a great secluded campsite off the trail and back in the trees by a meadow.
Of course, every time we saw a meadow, like the one in the background, someone had to recall the sad tale of Bambi. "There's hunters in the forest!...Run, Bambi! Run!" Way to ruin a bunch of beautiful meadows. We only saw Bambi once however.

The next day we hiked another 5 miles and visited a bunch of lakes. Here we are at Everman Lake.

Beautiful blue Jordan Lake.

Looking down at some unnamed pond. I don't think it's possible to visit all the many ponds and lakes in the Uintas.

This water flows out of Blue Lake,

which is at the top of this steep hill. I am looking down at one of the Mordt Lakes. This mountain is much steeper than it looks in the picture, and I am not a happy camper. Have I ever mentioned I hate heights and crumbly rocks that move? Here we have both.
But Curt held my hand (quite literally) and we all made it up to Blue Lake where we celebrated by throwing rocks into the water!
This is what you do after a long day of hiking.

Kevin packed this piece of equipment in. Yes, we were packbacking and not car camping. It doesn't make much difference to Kevin.

I have to admit, it was nice to sit in a real chair! Kevin wanted to balance it out by taking our blow up rowboat on the other side of his pack. He had some type of foot pump he was going to use to blow it up. However, it would have taken quite a while just to get the boat pumped up. Curt and I vetoed the idea. I wouldn't have cared it he brought it, but there was no way I was letting him row out on a lake without a lifejacket and bringing along 2-3 lifejackets for him and the girls along with the boat and a pump seemed a bit much. We would have looked all kinds of ridiculous going up the trail with lifejackets hanging off our packs. (Remember the deer cart on King's Peak? If you haven't heard that one kids, ask your parents.)

We did let Rachel bring her horse. Possibly the only stuffed horse to ever go backpacking. When we got to the trailhead, Rachel asked what she should do with her horse. I told her to leave it in the vehicle and it would be there when we got back. Her face crumpled and she started to cry. "I always sleep with a horse!" she wailed. It was then I realized she wanted to take it with her! If I had known that a few hours earlier, I would have helped her choose a smaller horse. Sherpa Kevin stuffed it in his pack and all was well.
Here we say good by to our temporary home. We did about 15 miles in all. Camille carried her own real pack and Rachel walked the whole distance.
Now you may think we backpack because we like the outdoors (we do) or we like to see things that not many people get to see (also true) or that it makes our kids appreciate their home much more (very true), but the real reason is...by the time we get around to planning a camping trip there are no reservations to be had anywhere! We don't need reservations to backpack. So there you have it, procrastination is our real motivation!

8 comments:

Ash and Matt | A SoCal Story said...

Procrastination often results in a good time :-) Seriously, though, this backpacking trip looks like so much fun! And the Uintahs are so, so pretty--all of your pictures are beautiful. I wish I'd spent more time in them when I still lived in Utah. Perhaps I shouldn't have been so averse to camping without plumbing haha.

Meanwhile, I love that Kevin packed that chair in--he really was a sherpa, wasn't he? Christian would have done the same thing. They're funny boys. Also, good call on not bringing the boat + life jackets (although, that would have made an entertaining picture of two). And now, I'm off to ask my parents about the deer cart on Kings Peak...

Sharla said...

Oh the deer cart story is a vintage Graf Tale!! The mental picture that comes to my mind is the boys with their mile high back packs after the deer cart was finally put in the brush after realizing what a mistake it was. Sometimes we learn by experience!

I love these pictures and it makes me want to strap on a back pack and head out. We used to back pack all the time, but I don't think we have taken Brandon. This has to change........ next summer! Or maybe UEA!!

Sydna Graf said...

Curt was the one with the mile long backpack, Shaun got stuck with a huge garbage bag, and I don't know what Grandpa (the deer cart instigator carried.) Curt ended up with so much weight (CANS of food and an extra pillow...none of it his), that he was spitting blood. I only have one picture of the event in our scrapbook (Curt left his camera on a rock; he must have been trying to shed some weight!) and it's titled, most appropriately, "Deer Cart Hell!" Ironically enough, Curt remembers the trip as being fun.

Sydna Graf said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ryan and Donna said...

The Deer Cart Story. That one gets me everytime! These pictures are great. The Uintas really are beautiful. What a fun adventure for your family.

Angie said...

So adventurous, so hard-core, so outdoorsy, so GRAF! I love it. These pictures are beautiful.

Mills Family said...

YOu guys are so super adventurous!! I love that you go camping! We did a lot of that growing up...and I want to do more of it with my own kids. We usually go a couple times each summer. But, we didn't get out this past summer and we ALL missed it a lot! I loved your pics here! What a fun post!!

M said...

I like the 'Sherpa Kevin' comment. Although, packing away that horse at the last moment is impressive.