I have burned many pans in my life, but never one beyond repair. Usually a little soak with baking soda and a good scrubbing will take care of the problem. However, this pan was way beyond repair. Steel wool didn't even touch it! I left the rice on way too long and went to do something--probably computer related. Did you ever notice how the computer sucks up your time? You sit down for 5 minutes and 2 years later you look up to find that you've missed your child's graduation. Anyway, after 3 days of soaking and 10 minutes of massive scrubbing, this is what the pan looked like.
Shortly after I killed the pan, this marvelous contraption caught my eye at Costco. A rice cooker. I always believed they were a waste of money. Why did anyone need a whole separate appliance just to cook rice? But this one could steam veggies AND cook the ever difficult brown rice. With visions of healthiness, I bought it. I have yet to steam veggies or cook brown rice, but we no longer live in fear of the aroma of burned white rice permeating through the house. I love that I can turn the thing on and the food cooks without any more help from me. If only someone could invent a garden that grew that way. Just plant the seeds, walk away, come back and eat.

4 comments:
We have a testimony of Rice cookers at our house! Once you serve a mission to Japan they become a need, not a want! We are on our 2nd one, so that tells you how long they last. Yours looks Deluxe!! Good Luck and happy rice cooking and veggie steaming!! Looks like I might need to send Angie her cooker, tee hee. Maybe she can get it when she comes home for Justins Farewell! Which by the way is the last Sunday in June at 1:00 pm
The above comment was Sharla!!
That is so funny how you wrote about the above rice incident. You are too cute. I have never used a rice cooker...you will have to let me know how you like it.
I just realized I posted that Justin's farewell was at 1:00 pm on your blog and it is at 11:00 am. I am sure you got the e-mail, but I am so confused cause Brian and I go at 1:00 now for our new singles Ward. Yikes!
Post a Comment