
I just got a new smart phone. That's the good news. That's also the bad news. It is apparently smarter than me. Ironically, downloading apps and using the internet came easily to me. After all it's just a mini computer. However, the basic uses of a phone--calling and texting were difficult if not downright impossible for the first few days. I was used to pushing one or two buttons to make a call. This phone requires more effort and is a lot less simple than my former phone. I've gone from driving a Model-T to trying to drive a Lear Jet. (Update: I have found the "Genius" button. One touch and I talk to my phone and tell it what to do--Genius! However, I refuse to be one of those people who talk to their phones in public.)
I was proud that I found the button to set the alarm on my phone. I found it once, set the alarm for every M-F (workdays), realized that I might want to turn it off sometimes, and can't find my way back to where ever I set it from. Oh well, I have until Thanksgiving to figure that one out.
I downloaded apps with the scriptures and conference talks from the last ten years. "This will be so useful in church," I thought. Then I went to Stake Conference where our Stake President asked us not to bring our phones to church. Sigh. He's right; technology often leads to bad language as you try to figure out what has gone wrong.
I have also learned the meaning of "sync." The meaning was brought forcefully home when I deleted contacts on my phone that were just e-mail contacts and not people that I call. Imagine my joy at discovering they were also deleted from my Gmail! All my Primary and Scouting contacts gone. Thank goodness for actual paper copies. Sync, people, is a powerful force. Use it wisely.
5 comments:
This was funny! Believe me you are much more skilled at Smart Phones than I am. Are you ready for this admission? Here we are close to the year 2011 and....are you ready....I have NEVER owned a cell phone. I have Never sent a single text message. I can count on my hands how many times I have actually used a cell phone over the past 30 years. Crazy huh?!?! Most people are shocked when they find out that I don't own a cell phone....and I work for a software company! You say you upgraded from a model T to this new smartphone, heck, I'm still plugging along with a horse and buggy. But I just don't want to pay the monthly cost of a cell plan. I may be the last person left alive when they find out Cell phones cause cancer. I am Legend.
--Ryan
hahahaha, " I Am Legend " I love Ryan! hahahaha!
Ok, so I love your post Sydna. I am officially technology-minded challenged. It's true. So...I better NEVER buy a "smart" phone. It's already sending me into a panic attack! :)
Hahaha!! This post was so funny and then Ryan's comment killed me! (And I am shocked he never had a cell phone. WHAT?) That's too bad they don't allow them in church, I use mine for scriptures and lessons at church all the time! My phone reads us the scriptures every morning! Haha! Maybe we are a little too dependent on our phones...
I was just going to say, call angie or text angie or e-mail angie. Klane and Angie are the most technological couple I know. That last sentance doesn't sound right, but anywho, Brandon informed me last week that technology and I should not be mixed and that I was the most technologically challenged person he knew, with Brian coming in a close second. Oh well, I guess we can live with that. We know enough to get by! tee hee
Haha! You and my mom both, Sydna. That syncing incident sounds like a nightmare, though! If it makes you feel any better, Matt and I are still plugging along with our Model T's (much to his dismay). And then there's Ryan with his horse and buggy... haha!
Post a Comment