Sunday, October 24, 2010

Yellowstone

This is how we roll. On the way to Yellowstone.
I love the Yellowstone Inn.
The wood and stone interior is unique and something that wouldn't be built today; it is one of the largest log structures in the world. Many of the rooms share a bathroom down the hall. They are small, dark and historic. After all the place was built in 1904. My goal is to stay there one day.
We were there on a rainy overcast day. Luckily it cleared up later. Fall in Yellowstone is colder, but much less crowded than in the summer. We could actually find parking and didn't get caught in traffic jams. The lodges and places to stay were closed or closing, but the scenery was still there and it was beautiful. Most of the fall color was visible on the bushes near the river as we zipped by on the road, but trust me (you'll have to-I have no pictures), it was the best time so see the park.

Hot pots near Old Faithful.
It took us 3 tries to see Old Faithful. The geyser was going off just as we arrived. We decided to wait around and eat lunch. Lunch at the Inn took just long enough that we had just missed it when we came out again. Oh well, we weren't trying to see everything; we were trying to have a relaxing weekend. I have been to Yellowstone so often (my grandpa and grandma worked there during the summers) that I don't feel the need to see it all every time we go.
But the third time is the charm and we finally saw the most famous geyser in the world. Old Faithful was faithful once again.
Mud pots and Grafs.

This buffalo was on the side of the road, beefing up for the winter.
This is known as the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone. The canyon walls were steep and colored from the minerals from the geysers.
Here we are on top of the 300 foot waterfall that you can see in the previous picture.
Yellowstone and the Tetons in the fall. Maybe next time we'll see the park in the winter. Riding snowmobiles through the park would be amazing.

4 comments:

Sharla said...

Loved your pics and yes you need to go in the Winter! We took Kyle and Angie when they were younger, and it was incredible!

You guys have way too much fun! Love your fun family pictures always! Enjoy all of those kiddies, cause they start to move away and then it is lonesome!

Angie said...

I love how your family is always doing these fun, adventurous, outdoors things together! You are building such great memories for your kids.

Ash and Matt | A SoCal Story said...

Angie beat me to my comment :-) I really do love all of the fun activities that your family is always doing. Such fun memories! And I love the pictures of the kids and the whole family. Everyone is getting so grown up!

And a totally unimportant PS-Somehow I missed the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone when I went to Yellowstone, and now I'm really bummed about it! It looks absolutely gorgeous.

Ryan and Donna said...

Awesome pictures of Yellowstone. I gotta go there!