Raise your hand if you've ever heard of Bluff, Utah, and know where it is. I had actually been to this small town over 40 years ago when I was a baby. Okay, how weird is it to say "over 40 years ago?" Moving on...I really don't want to dwell on that last comment.
Several of my ancestors were on the Hole-in-the-Rock expedition and settled this small town which is now about literally smack dab in the middle of nowhere. At first, I have to admit, I did not see the town's appeal. A blip on the road is about the best I could think of it. But obviously, Bluff gets a hold of people as evidenced by this memorial bench that is in the small cemetery. This woman probably hadn't lived in Bluff for over 80 years, but still held it dear to her heart.
I was fascinated to be at the grave of my great, great grandfather Adams. He didn't go with the original expedition but settled in the area later.
The other side of the gate post had this little antique lantern suspended on a decorative bird holder. So which is it--the death house or grandma's house?
Inside, there was the obligatory dark, locked door that led to a small room out back. (cue Psycho music)
Curt checked out the room and found that it was full of miscellaneous storage, not miscellaneous ax-murderers.
The house seemed really small from the outside, but the inside was surprisingly spacious with 3 bedrooms and 2 baths, which was about one more bedroom and bathroom than I expected.
Questionable outside decor and 8-legged friends aside, the house and the bedding were clean so it was okay for a night. In the morning we noticed fluffy bunnies frolicking outside our bathroom window. (cue happy Bambi music) As the small window had absolutely no window coverings (in the buff in Bluff), we had a good view of the furry critters. Good thing there really weren't any neighbors. (Did I mention the house was at the end of a deserted lane?)
The view out the front door was pure wild West (cue John Wayne music), and it wasn't hard to figure out how the town got its name.
This place had obviously once been part of some kind of livestock operation.
Fluffy bunnies, crows on the fence post--this place is giving me mixed signals! (cue scary, western, bunny music)
Another distant cousin built this house that is also a bed and breakfast. And yes, I tried to get reservations in both, but they were full.

This house was built by my great, great grandfather's son and was being restored into a private residence. I should have taken a picture of the modern kitchen--gorgeous! I could move here.
I noticed in the upstairs where the baseboards had been pulled away that the walls were solid brick--no insulation. Hope they have a good heater. Maybe the winters don't get too cold?
Actually, I learned that at one point Bluff, Utah, was the richest town per capita than any town west of the Missouri. I guess raising cattle made good money back then. Once these pioneers left their log cabins, they moved into large homes. When you get off the main road, you get a chance to see that the town is full of beautiful pioneer homes
We then went to a re-creation of the original Bluff Fort. Each of the cabins have been built and furnished by modern day descendants of the original pioneers. As there are a lot of cabins, you can tell that many people have a connection to this small town.
Rachel and Camille with a picture of their great, great, great grandfather Lemuel Redd.
You'd think being in the Willie handcart company would be the greatest trial of their lives. But, no, Jens gets called to be in the Hole-in-the-Rock expedition which had just as much trial and hardship as the handcart company only without the loss of life. (For more info, read The Undaunted by Gerald Lund) Then Jens is called to be the bishop in Bluff and he serves for 25 years! This is the cabin their family erected in their honor.

































5 comments:
This post was really fun to read! I think that is so cool that you have lots and lots of family ties to Bluff. It does look like it's in the middle of nowhere. I love all the pics!! The pics of your cute family! and the pics of all the cool houses! really neat. It makes me want to go there myself. I have wanted to go to the four corners one day. What a fun family trip. You guys are always finding fun family trips that are historic or just really cool ;)
Such a cool story about your many ancestors that were a part of that pioneering effort in Bluff. It is so amazing what the early saints of the church did. I love your description of your housing accommodations. You could have really done a job with our RV! Cue Beverly Hill Billy Music!
So happy you shared The Nielsons story, because I didn't know they went on to settle Bluff. I love their hand cart story. What incredible people! Hole in the Rock takes on a whole new meaning with all of this history of Bluff Utah.
funnnn
I have always wanted to go to the four corners and be able to be in four places at once. You guys have been going on such fun trips lately. We have got to plan a trip when we can tag along too! Looks like you guys had a fun time.
You had us laughing with your funny story of the creepy motel. Too funny. I didn't realize you were related to the Redds. I served with an Elder Redd from that area while we were missionaries in Connecticut.
Post a Comment