Sunday, October 23, 2011

Little Red School Desk


At the beginning of the summer, I went to Desert Industries. I used to hate D.I., but now I've become my mother and I like looking around. Who knows what treasures lurk amongst the junk? This particular day I found a cute, antique school desk very similar to this one (I never got a "before" picture of mine):

It was rusty and dusty and had spider webs under the legs. I loved it! The seat swivels and the desk top opens. Best of all it was only $8.00, and I knew at the very least I could sell it online for way more than that. My plan was to strip the finish and repaint the metal. No, I'd never done anything like that before, but I figured I had the entire summer to figure it out. If not this summer, then the next one or the next; you know how these things go. Fortunately, the very next day my mom and dad came to visit. My dad looked at the desk and asked if he could take it and refinish it for me. Yeah! I was secretly hoping he would want to take it on as a project. He loaded it into his truck and a few months later it came back looking like this:


Beautiful! He took everything apart, refinished the wood, sanded the metal (it was way more rusty than I thought) and repainted. He also did a few other repairs that I hadn't noticed needed to be done. Someday, when various children move out of my house, I will have room for an office, and my future grandbabies will have a place to write and draw. Meanwhile, it looks cute downstairs by the playroom. Thanks Dad!

2 comments:

Mills Family said...

OH MY GOSH!!! I LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sharla said...

That is the coolest thing ever. Your dad is amazing and it just goes to show once again, one mans junk is another mans treasure! You knew what was hiding under that rust and dust and your dad knew just how to find it!